William Salt, Maplewell Hall
& St Paul's
With kind thanks to Darren Harris
William Henry Salt (1831-92) owned the Maplewell estate from 1875. He and his wife Emma Dove Octaviana made the Hall their home, expanding and improving the building. They added an organ and a clock turret with four clock faces, winding mechanism and a bell made by Taylor's Bell Foundry, Loughborough.
"William Henry Street", Saltaire
Emma was from an eminent Leicestershire family. Her grandfather, Richard Harris, born in 1777 in Leicester, made his wealth in the textile business. Messrs Harris and Sons was largely responsible for the development of the fancy hosiery trade in Leicester. Her father, John Dove Harris served as MP for Leicester in 1857-9 and 1865-74, JP and Deputy Lieutenant for Leicestershire. Emma died in 1904.
William's father Titus, a famous and visionary wool merchant, built the Saltaire ‘model village’ in Bradford, with houses, a huge factory, shops, chapels and churches, recreation areas, schools and social services. It was an historic example of enlightened 19th century urban planning.
After spending a few years working in the family business where he helped finance the new Saltaire Library, William and Emma had moved by 1871, first to Kirby Frith, Leicestershire and then to Maplewell Hall.
He became baronet when his father died in December 1876.
They were very involved in the community, especially St Paul's Church in Woodhouse Eaves. He had been brought up as a Congregationalist, but later turned away from his roots to follow his wife’s Anglican faith.
An inscription, dated 13th October 1880, shows that Sir William funded the building of the South transept and donated the organ. He also donated the lectern, shown by the inscription around the base.
St Paul's organ
St Paul's lectern
Brass plaque commemorating the building of the South Transept by William Henry Salt