Memorials in St Paul's Church
by Keith Randon
There are a number of memorials and plaques within the chancel, nave and outside in the churchyard at St Paul’s. The earliest memorial commemorates Charles Allsop who died in 1836 and the latest dates from 1993, with a variety of materials used including brass, black marble, limestone and pink granite. In comparison with other churches, a remarkably high proportion of those commemorated in this church can be readily identified as having been in public life, or descendants of the same. Prominent local families, such as the Heygates, Martins and Salts have memorials throughout the church, as do two reverends – Robert William Close and Arnold James Hiley.
Pink granite memorial to William Unwinded and Constance Mary Heygate in the churchyard
Limestone memorial to Arnold James Watkinson Hiley in the chancel
In addition to memorials to local people, there are also plaques connected to the church clock and the bells. In the nave, a wall plaque commemorates a new peal of six bells installed in 1904 in memory of Queen Victoria, which has been paid for by public subscription. A new clock was placed in the tower in 1904, also in memory of Queen Victoria but this was paid for by Reverend Hiley, as the plaque notes.
Brass plaque commemorating the new peal of bells
The chancel contains a particularly interesting memorial, known as ‘The Chell Diamond’. The memorial is dedicated members of the Chell family, who lived on New Road, Woodhouse Eaves in the mid-19th century. The diamond is thought to have been laid during the extension of the chancel in 1871, to show graves which were covered over.
Near this Spot
lie the remains of
Jane Chell d.1846 aged 50 yrs
William Chell d.1861 aged 62 yrs
Jane Chell d.1853 aged 32 yrs
Sarah Jane Chell d.1854 aged 9 months
Sarah Chell d.1863 aged 6 weeks
Mary Chell d.1867 aged 17 months
Ann Burkin d.1864
aged 35 yrs
The "Chell Diamond" on the chancel floor