The Stained Glass Windows
in St Paul's Church
by Mike Harding
by Mike Harding
The East window (11) :
First to be installed in 1880.
Donated by Charles Ashton (1868-1875), dedicated to his wife Ada.
‘Triptych’ with three lancet lights, made by Clayton & Bell of London.
Seven panels depict Christ’s burial and resurrection, beginning with Joseph of Arimathaea begging Pilate for the body of Jesus and a scene of the last judgement.
The twelve Apostles in smaller panels, St Peter carries the keys of Heaven.
Triptych of three lancet lights which make up the east window of the chancel (By Beth Walsh)
Numbered plan of the windows of St Paul's
Hope window (9) (by Beth Walsh)
‘Hope’ (9) installed 1880. Memorial to Ann, wife of C. W. Walker, a local surgeon.
Due to the movement of the chancel, ‘Hope’ window had to be removed and replaced with plain glass. It was returned to its place in 2017.
‘Faith’ (10) and ‘Charity’ (12) installed in 1924 and designed by Leicester-born glass artist Theodora Salusbury (1875-1956), an independent craftsperson designing, painting and cutting in an ‘Arts and Crafts’ tradition.
Fired, leaded and assembled by Lowndes & Drury at the Glass House in Fulham, founded by Mary Lowndes, a leading figure in the suffragette movement.
Windows by Heaton, Butler & Bayne (London)
St. Cecilia (15) and King David (16) windows. St Cecilia carries a pipe organ, King David holds a harp. They cost £49-5s-0d in 1882.
Donated by Sir William Henry Salt and his wife Emma Octaviana Dove, generous supporters of St. Paul’s.
Other Heaton, Butler & Bayne windows include ‘Birth of Jesus’ (3),. ‘Dove Window’ (8), ‘Samaritans’ (18) and ‘Jesus Blessing the Children’ (20).
St Cecilia, window 15
The maker's mark of Kempe & Co.
Windows by CE Kempe & Co, London
3 stained glass windows – ‘Christ Child in the Temple’ (1), ‘The Visitation’ (2) and ‘Adoration of the Magi’ (19). Note the golden wheatsheaf with a black tower, their maker’s mark..